Summary:
Dave Isay is a radio producer and founder of StoryCorps. It is an ongoing broadcast documentary project which aims to complie interviews with ordinary people from wide range of backgrounds.
This idea was inspired by Isay's father, one day the speaker suddenly realized that his father was a gay. During that period Isay had a strained talk with his father, his father then mentioned a gay rights movement to Isay.
This idea was inspired by Isay's father, one day the speaker suddenly realized that his father was a gay. During that period Isay had a strained talk with his father, his father then mentioned a gay rights movement to Isay.
Isay found this story was interesting and wanted to dig more. Therefore, he tried to interview all of the people he could find in that movement.
The interview really changed the relationship between Isay and his father. This experience sparked the idea to create StoryCorps. Isay decided to dedicate his effort to this broadcast documentary project.
So he opened a booth in New Yorks Grand Central Station where people can listen to each other's stories.
The interview really changed the relationship between Isay and his father. This experience sparked the idea to create StoryCorps. Isay decided to dedicate his effort to this broadcast documentary project.
So he opened a booth in New Yorks Grand Central Station where people can listen to each other's stories.
The general rule to proceed an interview in StoryCorps is, the total interview time should be 40 minutes. People will be asked to interview someone who mattered to them in that period. By this mean, Isay claims that we can observe how powerful these interviews are. Interviews will then be stored at the library of Congress and their descendants can know how their grandfather/grandmother thinks.
In recent years, digital revolution changed the way how people stored and accessed digital files. People can now use their cellphones to interview someone worth honor. And upload the interview toStoryCorps.com for persistent storage. The idea became a mobile booth which helped StoryCorps grow into the largest collection of human voices ever recorded.
Isaly also proposed an example during the speech. He said "Imagine, for example, a national homework assignment where every high school student studying US history across the country records an interview with an elder over Thanksgiving, so that in one single weekend, an entire generation of American lives and experiences is captured."
In conclusion, just like what the speaker said in the speech, he believes that "Everyone around us has a story the world needs to hear".
My opinion:
I asked myself after I watched this lecture. I started to realize that I really wanted to know how my grandfather/mother thinks. What the difficulties they encountered and how they conquered those issues?
What is the most valuable thing they learned from his/her entire life? Some said that history will always repeat itself because humans never learn from their mistakes.
I think I can learn a lot from their knowledge and experiences. Maybe one day, I can share my experiences to my descendants to show them I was existed because history never records ordinary people.
What is the most valuable thing they learned from his/her entire life? Some said that history will always repeat itself because humans never learn from their mistakes.
I think I can learn a lot from their knowledge and experiences. Maybe one day, I can share my experiences to my descendants to show them I was existed because history never records ordinary people.
Suggestion to StoryCorps:
Engage with Eastern society by providing Multilingual version. Explore culture difference and record Eastern knowledge as well.
沒有留言:
張貼留言